JOB ACTIONS THAT YOU CAN ORGANIZE AT YOUR WORKSITE
Walk In/Out Solidarity Action
- Meet in the parking lot and all faculty/staff walk in together at the start of contract time
- At the end of contract time, walk out together.
- No one works before or past contract time.
- This is especially effective if you all get up together and walk out of a faculty/district meeting that goes overtime according to contract requirements.
- Hand out literature and information on an issue to parents/public dropping off and picking up students.
- Stand on public property at the entrance to the school and hand literature to people through their car windows before and after school.
Wear Union Swag/Protest Buttons
- Wearing your AFT lanyards, shirt, mask, or a union button displaying a hashtag, slogan, etc.
- Everyone wears their union attire to faculty meeting/district meetings.
AFT Bulletin Board
- Create a bulletin board with union information, news, & event information in the faculty room. Keep it updated and current.
Weekly Union Check-in Meetings
- AFT Stewards should hold a quick 10-15 min union meeting weekly to check in with faculty/staff. Information from these meetings will be shared with local union officers.
- Unions are only as effective as their worksite membership. More members means more power. Union information should be given to each employee. One of the first people at a worksite a new employee should meet is the union steward. Remember, "First Friend, Best Friend" should be the practice and support for new employees.